KKOG Forum

Butyl sealing cord

Discussion started on Wanted  (Read 298 times)

Hi Dave,
I had the same problem in my 11 year old Karavan: all three Remis hatches leaked in heavy rain because the existing sealing strip had permanently compressed. Instead of butyl cord I just used some sealing strip from Bunnings (Moroday 15mm x 9mm x 3m Black Self Adhesive Ribbed Weather-Strip, from memory) with the adhesive side down and the ribbed side up. As Barry recommended, start in the middle of the lowest side and just work it around the corners, no cuts. I removed the hatches first and could easily access the roof from inside the van. Make sure that you clean the roof well; I used isopropyl alcohol which I always carry in the vehicle. The existing sealant was glued to the underside of the hatch and looked very similar to what I was using. I left it in place to provide extra compression on the new seal. So far so good. And I didn't have to wait 6 weeks for an eBay product sent from China!

#5 - 28 February, 2022, 10:01:46 PM
2011 Karavan Limited Edition, extended drawbar, BMPro Bluetooth breakaway system, 2x200Ah Winston LiPO4 batteries, 1500W inverter, Allan Deans” Steps, Nature’s Head Toilet, rear camera, double pulley winch system, roof air con
2016 Isuzu Mux, IMS engine module, Pedders springs & shocks (no lift) Airbag Man rear air bags, Redarc brake controller, Geolander G012 tyres, McHitch auto.

Hi Dave - I had trouble finding what Remis recommended in their brochure as well, and ended up using this product from ebay:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143271104607
It comes in a 4m roll and is sticky black - looks like what they use to seal windscreens (in past times anyway). I think Remis suggested 8mm diameter cord and this was the closest I could find.

Although it looks awkward to handle, it was actually extremely easy to use. Clean off existing surfaces really well. I recall that I only used kero and metho - nothing fancy although I am sure there are better cleaners. Start in the middle of the bottom (if it is a front skylight) and after you go around the entire perimeter, it is quite easy to 'work' the join so that it is continuous. I gently screwed it down and followed their advice and tweaked it the next day.

The end result was it was easy to install and hasn't leaked since - well over 12 months now - and it has been in some serious rain, particularly here in SE Qld where we have been hammered with heavy rain this past week.

Good luck
Barry
#4 - 28 February, 2022, 07:19:02 PM
Attachments:
« Last Edit: 28 February, 2022, 07:20:45 PM by Barryjred »
2013 LE Karavan, NH sliding composting toilet, Allan Dean steps, 240AH Li batteries, 4*55W roof solar, Alko rear legs, DO35V3 coupling, 60 litre grey water tank converted to fresh supply, Rooftop A/c, Accumulator on non-drinking water circuit, Exped megamat 10 LXW airbeds.
2013 Isuzu D-Max - bullbar, canopy, 2 inch lift, side steps and bush bars, Redarc tow-pro elite.

You may have to use EPDM, available from most rubber suppliers.

Tony
#3 - 27 February, 2022, 09:29:57 AM
KK: 2008LE, 180 Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery, 40A Xantrex charger, GSL 22A DC-DC booster, 4x50W thin solar panels, Powertech 30A Solar controller, extended drawbar, Allan Deans steps, modified bearing collars, Nature's Head composting toilet; McHitch auto coupler
Tug: 2015 Amarok Core, Iron man 50mm lift, Pegasus canopy, Ute slide, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller,100Ah EVpower lithium aux battery, GSL DC-DC booster, 40W solar panel on cab roof

We are looking for a sealing cord for our hatch and we are looking for help in finding one in australia.
It is a Remis
#2 - 26 February, 2022, 07:40:26 PM
DnA 😎😎

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.4 © 2022